Sunday, February 27, 2011

TVM Analysis

This book was totally different than I expected. While I expected something really funny and random, what I got were realizations not only about women and the "hushed about" topic of the vagina, but I also learned more about myself, as well.
I never realized how how much violence was going on in the world; some is absolutely astounding. For example, on page 66, according to The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, it is said that "In the United States, the last recorded clitoridectomy for curing masturbation was performed in 1948- on a five year old girl." I think anyone, women particularly, regardless of time frame, would be mortified and completely appalled reading that fact. It really made me wonder about how much society has evolved over time. For example, while during that time period it was accepted for men to be sexual and be open about it, but it was expected of women to be completely shut up and never mention the topic. Back then, women were expected to be pure and remain innocent until possibly marriage. The ironic fact about it is that women are the ones that help to pro-create this world...
What I liked about TVM was that I got to learn through reading other monologues about women's experiences finding their own vagina and being at one with it, which I think is essentially important. If a woman is not in touch with her body, how will she know what is good and bad, and how to prevent against situations, such as being, raped, mutilated, or abused? There is one influential example of a woman who wants the best for her vagina. One page 73, Ensler writes, "It wants sex. It loves sex. It wants kindness. It wants change. It wants silence and freedom and gentle kisses and warm liquids and deep touch. My vagina. Well... it wants everything." I feel this quote is so powerful and beautiful. Here is a prime example of women we need in today's society; we need women who are in touch with themselves, their personal experiences, no matter how traumatic or endearing, who can face what she wants and handle it. She knows how to protect, worship, and love her body the way every woman should. I think the problem with our society today is that we never know which way to turn. Women were brought up to not talk about vaginas, sex, and the other horrific things that can come along with it, like rape, abuse, etc. The fact that she did was eye-opening.
While it doesn't seem the woman is talking about her vagina as a way to fight against women's violence, it is. She is embracing her body, her vagina, for what it is, what it needs, so on and so forth. This is what Ensler was trying to say in her book, which I think is a truly positive message.

No comments:

Post a Comment