Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Dance- Best Poem Ever

So my title for this blog is very informal... yet VERY personal. In Eve Ensler's lastest book, I am an Emotional Creature, I thought at first it was another book targeted to end violence towards women. I wanted something different... and believe it or not, I found it in this book.
What I love about this book thus far is how all of the monologues Ensler writes can relate to girls and their issues, regardless of what they may be or their age. This book has monologues to express types of emotions, actions, thoughts, and opinions girls/women may feel, but are taught to keep silent in today's society. One specific monologue Ensler wrote on page 52 I instantly fell in love with. The piece is titled, "I Dance." I am a natural -born dancer for fifteen years now. Dance is my world and one of my greatest passions. So this passage specifically reached out to me in a major way.
On page 53, Ensler writes, "I dance to disappear, I dance to know I'm here, I dance cuz I'm horny, 'cause it's holy, 'cause I want to forget." When I read this, I IMMEDIATELY felt a connection. Whenever I'm stressed, feel like I don't belong, or need to get out my emotions in an artistic way, I dance. Feeling the music pulsing through my veins, the aggressive and rapidly fast beats causing an addicting sensation to move throughout my body, causing me to "bust out" incredible dance moves is a great feeling. This girl is saying this is a way she gets out her emotions and feelings. She dances as a means of expression and to feel. I feel she even does it because it is obviously important to her, an essence as to who she is, and a reason for living... like myself. Ensler also writes something that really hit home for me on page 53: "'Cause it's the only thing you can't take away/ I dance 'cause it keeps me separate/from everyone else's opinions and ideas." Again, something I can relate to. I feel dance is the one thing that makes me feel confident. With dance, I can do anything, BE anything. I can stick to my ideas, my morals, and values, and don't have to listen to anyone else's opinion. I can just be me and do what I do best. I think this girl and myself would have been great friends, because I feel as if I already know her.  One page 54, Ensler also touches base on serious issues. She writes: "I shake off restrictions and illegitimate rules/I shake off your suffocating warnings/ I dance to the heartbeat of life/ I dance because girls are the ultimate survivors." While the girl dances for herself, I realize she dances because she has the freedom to. In today's society, there are so many rules, and so many hypocrisies that make it okay for men to state their opinions and thoughts, but women are expected to stay quiet. this girl is saying here she has no restrictions. She can just be free like a butterfly and be herself, which I think is a truly beautiful thing. She doesn't have to worry about anything, but perfecting a move and being crazy. She proves she CAN survive all through her love for dance. And this ladies, and gentleman, is I believe Ensler's finest piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment