Sunday, February 20, 2011

Vaginas- The Meaning Behind the Performance

1)The genre of this piece of literature is drama, meaning that Ensler wrote these monologues to be performed. Why do you think she wants vaginas to be publicly performed? Why does she want vaginas to be physically embodied? What effect does this have on the way we see and think of vaginas?
 Who would ever in their right mind want to perform a monologue on the most intimate part of a woman's body: the vagina? At first, I was skeptical about it, in wondrance as to who could ever embody a character and talk about such an intimate, pleasing, and embarassing topic? I do think there is a true reason as to why she wants "vaginas" to be publicly performed.
 In the introduction, author Gloria Steinem writes that "when you rape, beat, maim, mutilate, burn, bury, and terrorize women, you destroy the essential life energy on the planet. You force what is meant to be open, trusting, nurturing, creative, and alive to be bent, infertile, and broken." I have never looked at women as being so powerful before, maybe because I always assumed certain duties and thought of myself as less powerful (physically) as opposed to my male counterparts. What I realize now is that women are the sole creators of life, and with utilzing their body parts, the vagina, it expands the population and helps the world grow into a more culture universe. By beating, raping, or physically abusing a women, it can only lessen that significant and kindly power God has bestowed upon them. If women become "infertile" and "broken," how else will the world expand? I think by publicly performing TVM is to help others, men AND women, about the awareness as to what is going on in the world today and how we can help women in less fortunate countries. Steinem also mentions in the intro that "all the productions raise money and consciousness for local groups that work to stop violence toward women," which I believe is Ensler's real goal.
 Physical embodiment is also something heavily braced in TVM. I feel Ensler wants women to brace their "hoo-has" and physically embody them because it is a form of being, it's something so personal that co-exists inside of us, and can be quite powerful. For example,  on page 48, one woman explains the terrifying experience of finding her clitoris at a vagina workshop. She says, " This clitoris finding....real, too real. I could feel the panic coming. The simultaneous terror and realization that I had avoided finding my clitoris...I was, in fact, terrified I did not have a clitoris." For me to read this, I was baffled. How could a women whom I'm sure has had so much more experience and years on me not know she possesses the one part of a woman's body that serves no purpose but to serve as pleasure? Does she not understand the capabilities her body has? Does she not want to be in touch with her body, or feel the power for herself and let someone else "take care" of it? Later on, she mentions her teacher helping her. On page 49, Ensler writes, "She told me my clitoris was not something I could lose. It was me, the essence of me. I didn't have to find it. I had to be it. Be my clitoris." Reading that, I was confused thinking, how in the WORLD can a person be a body part?! For how passionate I am, I don't think I could ever BE my clitoris. The way I interpreted it, the woman finally became one with herself and comfortable enough to experiment, something I think all girls should do, so they know how to take care, please, and stay away from what they don't like. It's important to be in touch with oneself to the fullest! On page 50, the woman says, " Then the quivering  became a quake, an eruption... broke open into an ancient horizon of light and silence... I felt connection, calling connection as I lay there thrashing about on my little blue mat." The woman finally physically embodied herself and became one with her body, which allowed her to possess power and the right to cause herself a world of pleasure and her very first self-inducing orgasm. I definitely think that this affects the way we see the vagina wholeheartedly. By reading these other women's points of views and hearing the positive feedback they have received and the way they can view their vaginas is a beautiful thing. It definitely makes me view the vagina differently; it is a part of our being and something we should not be afraid of. It is the "essence" of us, the only intimate private part of women that we embody. It possesses power, we can pro-create and do not need someone to give us pleasure. The vagina is a powerful and beautiful thing... one that we all should embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment