Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Crucial name of "Down There"- The Vagina

2)For Ensler, language is important? Why? What does it matter what we call body parts? What is the importance of language in defining sexuality, bodies, etc.? Why do you think she asks those questions about what vaginas would wear, etc? What is she trying to do with that?

 While I have just started reading The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler, I am completely hooked. In order to begin, I have to say the book isn't what I thought it would be. While I envisioned "girl power" and funny stories, I did not picture it to be a move of femininism towards stopping violence against women (rape, sexual harrassment, abuse, etc.)
  While I personally always felt violated in a verbal way having my body parts being called crass words (like cunt, for example,) but it made me think differently because of Ensler. I think the reason that language is so important to Ensler is because in some ways, it defines who we are. One perfect example of a woman who was not familiar with language was Gloria Steinem, who wrote the introduction to TVM. On the 1st page, she writes, "I come from the "down there" generation." When I first read this, I thought to myself, what is a "down there?!" As she continues, she explains that women in her family never used these words, and on the 2nd page, Steinem mentions that she "never once heard the word clitoris." She also goes on to say one page 3 that this left her "unprotected against the shaming words and dirty jokes of the school yard... men... knew more about women's bodies than women did."
  I think during that time in society, it was unheard of for women to use words like that. The art of sex and words to describe such intimate and personal body parts were something appalling, because women were expected to be wholesome and innocent. Men, on the other hand, were supposed to have knowledge of matters of sex and body parts. It was considered non-masculine if one didn't. That's what Steinem means when she says men know more about women's body parts than women themselves.
 Alas, this got me thinking. Is this why men are known for abusing women? Is this why women get raped? Is this the reason why women ALLOW themselves to be put in this situation? In some twisted way, it got me thinking that maybe because men have always been "one step ahead" in terms of the details of the anatomy and sex? Maybe they feel they have a power over us... and because women were never comfortable or in knowledge of the terms themselves they don't exactly know how to handle the situation, much less know what they are doing. I think this is why Ensler stresses how important language is in terms of the vagina; it is an identification of oneself, and their body parts, in my opinion the most sacred and personal part of the body. How else can we defend ourselves if we are not in touch with ourselves?
 Ensler also stresses the importance of expression of sexuality concerning language. As part of the intro, Steinem discusses vaginal occurrences. For example, Steinem writes, "Glenn Close gets 2,500 people to stand and chant the word cunt." Steinem also mentions how there si a Cunt Workshop at Wesleyan University. Now when I first read this, it was mind-boggling to me. What is so important about a word I grew up feeling was degrading? I realized the word has more than just one meaning. The word Close chose to chant represents empowerment, feminisim, and also being in touch with your body. Now women may ask, how does this help prevent violence? To begin, it signifies a unity of women, men, and whomever else involved the empowerment of the female genitalia, and how it is a powerful thing. Steinem makes an interesting point. Women are what keeps the world continuing. They are the ones that produce children to then grow and produce more. By beating, raping, and abusing them does not help the matter, but lowers the degree of possible reproduction. Steinem writes, "In order for the human race to continue, women must be safe and empowered." This is very true. By embracing the language of the vagina and for what it is, one is also embracing the power and identity it has. Wtihout vaginas, the world would not exist so highly as it does today.
 On a comical level, I think Ensler pushes the use of language because it is funny. On page 5, she writes, " Vagina. Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it never sounds like a word you wanna say." I thought about that, and it's very true. I even feel uncomfortable using the word in everyday conversation! I think by using interesting words (like "pussycat" in Great Neck where Ensler researched) and other words like "pajama" or "split knish," it creats something fun, allows the women to be creative and intimate with her body as well as truly OWN her body. By doing this, she creates an identity and a power to herself. Same goes for why Ensler questions what vaginas would wear. She is essentially helping women to create an identity and realize how sacred their bodies are, therefore keeping them strong and preventing them from being in violent situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment