Sunday, March 13, 2011

Could you do what Déde did?

In part three of In The Time of Butterflies bu Julia Alvarez, I really started thinking about Déde's thoughts and opinions on the retreat. As stated, Déde was the only Mirabel sister that did not get directly involved with the meetings and what not. It really started to get me think as to what I'd do if I was in her situation.
Before Déde actually starts discussing her thoughts, fears, and excuses for not joining her sisters in their organization, she is strongly considering it. Minerva informs her of a meeting they will be having at Patria's house. Déde has decided to leave her husband, Jaimito, who has become unusually cruel and nasty partially due to his excessive drinking. I think Déde partially wants to join them as proof to herself that she is her own person and can get away from her husband, and she does not need anyone else to protect her. Alvarez writes on page 182, "I need to get out. I cannot go on with this travesty." I think this is what Déde is thinking. She is trying to prove to herself that she can be her own person and is capable of making her own decisions, such as joining her sisters in the revolt. I definitely can relate with Déde's thought process here. Who wouldn't want to be capable of making their own decisions? It's not as if Jaimito runs her life, despite what he may think.
Although, Déde does have a huge decision to make. If I had to make this decision as to join my family or not right now at my age, it would not be as crucial because I not married and do not have responsibilities to my own family like she does, such as her three children. What I notice is that Déde has to worry about her children and her husband as well as her mother. It's almost as if she is on the fence about this business and is trying to find every possible excuse to keep her from joining her sisters. It really made me wonder. Would I be so ready to leave my kids and unsupporting husband while I join the dangerous fight? I don't think I could...
She then decides to meet with Padre de Jesús, the priest for an insight. At the church, Déde realizes that he is one of the revolutionaries along with her very own sisters! On page 184, Alvarez writes, "And she knew, right then adn there, that she could not go through with this business. Jaimito was an excuse. She was afraid, plain and simple." While some people may think Déde was being selfish to not want to support her sisters and fight for what she may believed is right for her country, I do not. I feel every person is different. Déde has a family to worry about and a husband. I feel that it is selfless of her to stay with her family and protect them as opposed to putting herself on the line. If anything, she could wind up killed or severely wounded. Déde decides to not go so she can be there with the alive and healthy, supporting her family.
I feel if I was in Déde's shoes, I would do the same thing. I would hate the thought of leaving behind my kids and my doting husband, knowing there was a strong risk I could never see them again. I think Déde is smart for her decision, especially because of the ending of this book. She essentially did think for herself in the end and made the conscious decision to be there for her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment