Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dreaming is Believing

Something about the novel Push by Sapphire is very personal, maybe because how highly and deeply it discusses the protagonist, Precious Jones, dreams for herself. I truly feel this specific novel shows that dreaming is believing, and if you believe, you can get anything in life.
The book really shows the phenomenal transformation of the character, Precious from an illiterate, no-good 16 year old to a mature young woman, who feels so deeply and can voice her words in such a dee and beautiful way on paper.
In the beginning, the test Precious took to test her reading she only scored a 2.0, which is VERY low for reading. On page 139, Sapphire describes Precious' "Quantum leap." " I took the TABE test again, this time it's 7.8. Ms. Rain say quantum leap! I read according to the test around 7th or 8th grade level now! I got to get up to the level of high school kids, then college kids. I know I can do this. Ms. Rain tell me it's gunna work out, don't worry. I still got time." This shows how far an illiterate girl has come, and by her telling herself she can succeed and having the utmost confidence in herself shows her leap in her schoolwork, but herself, especially considering Precious living with a mother who constantly degrades her, beats her and accuses her of stealing her "husband." To me, the book is inspirational, particularly with that quote from Precious because it shows regardless of who a person is, if they persevere and "push," they can be someone. Precious also reveals dreams for herself, making her more real and instilling hope in the reader. On page 138, Sapphire discusses Precious' worries on her HIV. " My heart fill. Hurt. One year? Five ?Ten? Maybe more if I take care of myself. Maybe a cure. Who knows, who is working on shit like that?" This shows her dreams, and also made me predict what would happen to Precious, especially if she started being healthier. Would she ever fulfill her dreams of being successful by getting a job, apartment, and raising BOTH her kids? Who knows? What I truly love about the novel is that it proves that no matter who you are, if you "push" yourself, you gunna get somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment